New Year's Resolutions for Parents—2003
I resolve to talk TO my children less and talk WITH them more.
- I shall always use "please" when asking of my children and "thank you" when
receiving from them.
- I resolve to not cause my child to suffer
- I am determined not to use the computer or the television as a baby sitter.
- I will remember that genuine play* with plenty of time for imagination and
creativity, is necessary for proper development of the brain.
*Entertainment is not play.
- I will not arbitrarily make up rules, but will find sound principles for
- I shall not crush my children's spirit by discrediting their creative ideas
as worthless, foolish, or nonsense, regardless of how "far-out" the ideas
- I will not over-schedule myself or my family.
- I shall strive to honor my children (their ideas, their presence, their
beauty/handsomeness, their choices, their importance to me, etc.) several
times every day.
- I will remember that children long to be tenderly touched— physically with hugs, mentally with assuring words, and emotionally
with genuine kindness.
- I shall not pressure my children with "Try harder," rather, I will encourage
them with "Do your best."
- I choose Joy as our family theme for 2003.